With a rapidly ageing population, changes in technology, changes in management demands, and the evolution of nursing knowledge and practice, there are growing opportunities for qualified senior nurses and nurse leaders in Australia.
JCU Online’s Master of Nursing gives you the qualifications and skills you need to evolve your career as fast as healthcare itself is changing. It will allow you to take on more complex roles and deliver better patient care.
The Education major, with its four specialised units in healthcare education, gives you the ability to take on educational practice roles in clinical or non-clinical environments.
- Transform your practice and improve your clinical skillset
- Develop key skills to help you succeed in clinical contexts
- Understand the latest in healthcare informatics
- Designed by passionate nursing professionals
- Fast-track your career with 100% online study
- Be supported by a dedicated Student Success Advisor
The JCU Online’s Master of Nursing gives you the preparation you’ll need to shine at the next level in your career – advanced communication skills, data management skills, governance knowledge, informatics, and the ability to design and implement evidence into practice. We equip you with the knowledge, proficiency, competency and expertise to succeed in your chosen specialisation.
These core skills were specifically incorporated to ensure all graduates leave the course ready to take on the challenges presented by a changing healthcare landscape.
- Informatics for Health Professionals
- Effective Clinical Governance
- Persuasive Communication
- Synthesising Evidence for Healthcare
- Quantitative Research in Healthcare
- Qualitative Research in Healthcare
- Implementing Practice Development in Healthcare Contexts
- Professional Portfolios for Career Advancement
- Principles of Education for the Health Professional
- Teaching in Practice Settings
- Clinical Coaching
- Contemporary Healthcare Education
This is one of three majors available:
- Leadership and Management major
- Education major
- Advanced Practice major
You may also choose to combine two of these specialisations and graduate with a double major.
To be eligible to enrol in the online Master of Nursing, applicants must have:
- Completed an AQF Level 7 Bachelor of Nursing, or equivalent qualification, and;
- Registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1) or Registered Midwife with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) or equivalent registration with the relevant registering authority for applicants outside of Australia;
- Completed a minimum of one year of full-time clinical experience, or the part-time equivalent, as a registered nurse or midwife.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 3a – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
If you have experienced learning either at work, through non-accredited training or from life that is relevant to this course, you may be able to get credit towards your qualification.
You can also build towards your master’s degree through flexible entry and exit points and ‘qualify as you go’ through our nested qualifications. As you study your Master of Nursing, you will gain your Graduate Certificate and Graduate Diploma of Nursing. If you need to finish your study early, you may still qualify for a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma.
Studying the Master of Nursing will provide you with the hands-on technical skills and practical interpersonal management knowledge that are growing in demand in the nursing industry. With three specialisations on offer, this degree allows students the opportunity to tailor their studies to their career goals and succeed in positions such as:
- Clinical Teacher
- Nurse Educator
- Higher education and academia roles
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Nurse Consultant
Leadership & Management
- Nurse Unit Manager
- Executive nursing roles such as Director of Nursing
2023 academic year student fees shown are subject to change. You may also be required to pay student amenities fees. Contact the university directly to confirm.
Fees shown are per unit. The number of units are listed below fees. Together they indicate the total fees for the course.
FEE-HELP loans are available to assist eligible full-fee paying domestic students with the cost of a university course.
- Study Mode: Online
- 24 months (part-time)
$2,905 per unit FEE HELP available
- 12 units
Start Date: Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sept, Oct